Recognized as a signifier of quality throughout the United States, regional accreditation is the highest level of accreditation an online or brick-and-mortar institution can obtain. Saint Xavier University has been awarded regional accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission, a Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
In order to earn and maintain accreditation, an institution must satisfy the Higher Learning Commission's five key criteria:
1. The institution's operations are guided by a clear and publicly articulated mission that demonstrates commitment to the public good.
2. The institution acts with integrity and its conduct is ethical and responsible.
3. The institution provides high quality education, wherever and however its offerings are delivered.
4. The institution regularly reviews its educational programs, learning environments, and support services to continuously improve student outcomes.
5. The institution has the means to fulfill its mission, continuously improve the quality of its educational offerings, and respond to future challenges.
Saint Xavier University has maintained accreditation with the Higher Learning Commission since 1973. Our adherence to HLC accreditation requirements is a testament to the quality education we provide and the quality education that awaits you.
The Higher Learning Commission of
the North Central Association of
Colleges & Schools (NCA)
30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400
Chicago, IL 60602-2504
Program Accreditations and Memberships
In addition to school-wide institutional accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission, many individual programs and departments at Saint Xavier University have been accredited by various national professional associations.
Our other program accreditations include:
The Nursing programs at Saint Xavier University are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation). The School of Nursing at Saint Xavier University holds membership in the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN), the National League for Nursing (NLN) and the Illinois Association of Colleges of Nursing.
The School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The School of Education also holds membership in the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE) and the Illinois Association of Colleges for Teacher Education.
Rankings & Recognition
In addition to our outstanding accreditations and professional affiliations, we have been nationally recognized for our excellence numerous times over the years. Recent and notable awards for Saint Xavier University include:
- U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2017: Saint Xavier University named one of the top 60 comprehensive master's universities in the Midwest.
- U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2017: Saint Xavier University named the No. 1 University for Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs.
- U.S. News & World Report’s America’s Best Colleges 2017: Saint Xavier University named the No. 1 University for Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs for Veterans.
- College Choice ranked Saint Xavier University No. 5 for Best Online Masters of Science in Nursing (MSN) Programs in 2017.
- SR Education Group ranked Saint Xavier University No. 10 for Most Affordable Online Master's in Nursing in 2017.
Saint Xavier University has been approved by Illinois to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education.
Currently, SXU is not authorized in Massachusetts. We are unable to offer our Master of Science in nursing program to Colorado, Kentucky, Utah and Washington residents due to the clinical experience component of the program. Admission is based on a student’s state of residence at the time of application and a change in residency could impact student eligibility for the program. If you have any questions regarding authorization, please contact your Admission Advisor.
To find out more about Saint Xavier University, call 866-319-8966 or request more information today.